Thursday, April 17, 2008

My Warm Nutty Chopped Salad


This salad dish is the best thing that has happened to me in a long time. I'm not exaggerating either! It is soooo damn good that even my carnivore Brian aka Puffin, craves it too. I use all organic produce in my recipes and you should too! :)
Ok, so here it goes:


Warm Nutty Chopped Salad:


2 cups of spring mix and spinach salad mix (I use the bagged 50/50 version)
1/2  avocado (large), diced
1/2 tomato, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
sea salt to taste

1/4 of a lemon
hand full of raw almonds, chopped
1/4 cup cooked brown rice (optional)
1 tbsp whole roasted flax seeds (optional if nuts are not your thing)


First, chop salad greens and onion



Then heat oil in a small frying pan and add onion and almonds and sprinkle with sea salt (so onions don't sweat) heat until onion are opaque and almonds are slightly brown. Add brown rice if you want. Turn off heat and set aside. 



Now dice your red pepper, tomato, and avocado.


After your onion and almonds have cooled down a bit (you still want them warm to wilt the spinach ever so slightly) add to chopped greens and toss.


Add the diced tomato, red pepper, avocado and flax seed. Sprinkle with sea salt and squirt the lemon


Your salad you just created should look so good you will want to take a picture of it. Go ahead. Now enjoy, and let me know what you think of it!

No comments: