Friday, November 6, 2009

Pig Out! Herbivore Style.....

This recipe is an updated version of my Warm Nutty Salad that I posted last year. I have been making it for lunch almost every single day since then, if you can believe it. It's true, I'm addicted. But it's the healthiest habit I've ever had! Even when I'm not able to eat it at lunch, I'll try to make sure I have it for dinner. It's that good in my eyes. As a matter of fact, it's become quite popular over the past year with my family and friends. Everyone close to me demands it when they come over and many make it themselves. If your wondering what makes this salad so special I can tell you it's a combination of many things. I need to take a picture and post it this weekend so you can see how beautiful it is. Every component I've added is super healthy for you. And it's hearty and filling. Darling, this is no ordinary salad.


Warmed Tahini Salad:


2 tablespoons olive oil
2 handfuls of organic spring mix
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon whole roasted flax seed
1 small clove of raw garlic
1/2 avocado
1/4 red onion, chopped
small handful of raw unsalted sunflower seeds
small handful of grape/cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
Salt
1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons of raw tahini
1/2 brown rice tortilla, optional


Heat olive oil over medium/low heat in a small fry pan and add onion and sunflower seeds. Cook until onions are soft and seeds are lightly toasted, about 4 to 5 minutes.


 Meanwhile add avocado to your bowl (pasta bowl or plate works the best) and add lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt. Mash with a fork.


 Add the spring mix to the avocado and chop. Then add the peppers, tomatoes and flax seeds. Squeeze any additional lemon juice on the top.


When the onion mixture is done, turn down heat to a simmer and add garlic and tahini. Warm tahini for about 30 seconds or so and then pour mixture over the salad. Mix everything well and salt to taste. I love to eat it wilth a brown rice tortilla that I heat up in the same pan as the onion mixture for a extra boost in flavor. This serves 1. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Mama Rovida said...

I love this salad. My husband, who is afraid of anything green, loves it also. Thanks for making healthy food easy!

Nancy said...

This is one of the best salads I have ever eaten and I love salad. Please do more of them

Lindsey said...

Thanks girls! This salad is always evolving, so I will keep you posted!

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely the best salad recipe I have ever made at home. In fact it beats any salad I have ever eaten anywhere. My husband and kids are requesting it on a weekly basis. It feels good to know I have a healthy dish to feed my family.

Lindsey said...

Lettie, I'm glad you and your family enjoy this salad! Thanks for all the positive feedback!