Monday, November 9, 2009

Sea of Love-Wild Salmon

The Wild Salmon season may be winding down but if your lucky you can get some fresh/frozen any time of year, like we do in Southern California. Beautiful Wild Salmon, with all of it's nutritional properties and yummy goodness is on my list of one of the best foods, EVER!  There are so many ways to prepare it and so many other foods that compliment it that it will never go out of style. I want to share with you my families favorite salmon recipe. My kids love it. And I have to tell you (and please feel free to comment below if you feel the same way) that it just feels so good to prepare some of the worlds healthiest foods and have your kids tell you that they love it. I don't know about you but I just don't feel right when I give my kids crap to eat. In the back of my mind I know it's not right and the guilty feelings I get on top of it make it quite clear: NO SHIT FOOD. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those freaky moms that throws away the candy bags after an exhausting night of trick-or-treating or one of those moms that doesn't let the kids out all together. Not even close. I just like to monitor the amount of junk they put in there bodies and cook them as much good food as I can with love, and a clear conscience.


This is a recipe I found in my Healthy Foods cookbook. It is elegant enough to make for entertaining guests and easy enough to make any day of the week. My version came out like this:


Salmon with Butter Lime Sauce:


4 portions of wild salmon, skin on
4 pieces of parchment paper
3 organic limes
4 teaspoons of peeled ginger, minced
1/2 stick of natural unsalted butter
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon of Liquid Amino Acids
1 large shallot, minced
Sea salt
Pepper


Cut the butter in 8 equal pieces and return to the refridgerator until firm.


Using a zester, zest the peel of 1 lime, set aside. Squeeze the juice from the lime and set aside. Cut the second lime in 8 thin slices. Cut the third lime lengthwise into 8 wedges.


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.


Arrange the parchment pieces on a work surface and lay a piece of salmon in the center of each. Sprinkle each piece of fish with salt and pepper to taste, then with 1 teaspoon of the ginger. Divide the lime zest among the fish. Place 2 lime slices on top of each fish piece.


Wrap each piece of fish in the paper and seal the ends under the bottom. Bake the fish until it is translucent at the thickest part: plan on slightly less than 10 minutes for each inch of thickness. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let rest for a few minutes. (The fish will continue to cool out of the oven until it is opaque.)


While the fish cools, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the shallot, lime juice and amino acids. Bring to a boil and boil until the liquid is reduced by one-third, about five minutes. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the butter 1 piece at a time, waiting unitl each piece is fully absorbed into the sauce before adding the next piece. Pour the sauce into a warmed small pitcher.


As soon as the sauce is done, place a packet of the fish on each individual plate and garnish with 2 lime wedges. Diners slit open the packets, remove the cooked lime slices, and spoon some of the sauce over the fish. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Salmon! I can't wait to try this dish. Thank you for such amazing healthy recipes!

Lindsey said...

Your welcome, Lettie! If you love Salmon, then you'll love this dish. Please let me know what you think it after you make it.